collection comprises about fifty instruments, dating from the late
17th to early 19th centuries, formerly belonging to members of the
Medici and Lorraine families, which later passed to the Cherubini Conservatory
of Florence. Since 1966 they have been deposited on loan to the Accademia
Gallery where they are currently displayed.
Among the most interesting instruments on display are a tenor
viola by Antonio Stradivari, a violoncello which formed part
of the same quintet of strings made in 1690 for Grand Prince
Ferdinando, a violin of 1716 by Stradivari and a cello of 1650
by Niccolò Amati. The Museum also has two rare instruments
by Bartolomeo Cristofori, the inventor of the piano, and the
oldest vertical piano in existence. The instruments are exhibited
with paintings representing musicians at the Medici court. Computers
enable visitors to hear the sound of all the instruments on view
besides providing information on the history of music in Florence
at the time of the grand-dukes.
The Museum forms part of the Accademia Gallery.